Montenegro ranked 46th for business attractiveness in "Doing Business 2016” report
Baku, August 24, AZERTAC
Montenegro was a part of the former Yugoslav Federation until 1992. After the breakup of the federation until 2006 it was in the union with Serbia and declared its independence on June 3 that year. According to "Doing Business 2016" report, prepared by the World Bank and evaluating the efficiency of business and investment environment in the 189 countries, this small country, located in the heart of Europe and pursuing an independent policy for a total of 10 years, has ranked 46th. With the area of 13,812 km and population of 650,000 people, Montenegro at the moment has become a very important venue for the investors.
To clarify the reasons of transformation such advantageous venue of Montenegro for business and to get information about the current state of relations between Montenegro and Azerbaijan, AZERTAC interviewed Montenegro's Honorary Consul in Baku, Vugar Aliyev:
What features of Montenegro are suitable for the Azerbaijani businessmen?
- As you know, Montenegro is celebrating its 10th anniversary of independence this year. On the basis of an independence referendum held in 2006, Montenegro is developing as a stable country in the Balkans today. Montenegro is an open country for anyone who wants to build trade and economic cooperation. Most of the time this place is called the land of opportunities. Montenegro is a stable and attractive place for investment. It is enough to follow the privatization realized in the country, to get to know a favorable environment for business. But first of all you need to go and to see Montenegro. As the Honorary Consul of Montenegro to Azerbaijan we are always ready to help those who apply to us in any subject.
- What level of relations between Azerbaijan and Montenegro has been developing?
- First of all, it should be noted that high-level political relations between the two countries have created an important foundation for cooperation in other areas. Political, economic and cultural relations between Montenegro and Azerbaijan are at high level. Already the 4th consecutive year, direct flights from Azerbaijan to Montenegro are being carried out in the summer season. Over the last 3 years, more than 12,000 citizens of Azerbaijan have visited Montenegro as tourists. One of the central streets in Podgorica was named after Baku. The image of Azerbaijan is very nicely formed in this country. Most of the people of Montenegro respect us. At the same time, the tourism potential of Azerbaijan is being seriously promoted in Montenegro. The Azerbaijan-Montenegro Economic and Cultural Relations Centre operates in the country.
Do Azerbaijani citizens require visa for Montenegro?
- No. For several years, Azerbaijani citizens can travel without a visa to Montenegro. During the visit, they have the right to a 90-days visa-free stay.
- It is interesting, which potential opportunities attractive for fascinating tourism does this country have?
- Montenegro is recognized as a leader country in the tourism and service sector, despite a population of 650,000, and has great hosting in tourism. It is called the pearl of the Adriatic coast. The number of tourists who visited the country was over 1.6 million in 2015. In other words, Montenegro receives nearly three times more tourists than its population. More than half of the state budget is formed by income coming from tourism. In particular, Budva, Kotor, Bar and Ulcinj are usually the most loved and visited places for tourists coming from Europe, Azerbaijan and other countries on summer vacation. So, I recommend those who want to vacation the tourist centers of Montenegro which differs with its an unusual features. Montenegro, not only in terms of summer and marine tourism, but also with unique canyons, national parks and mountaineering tourism, is one of the leading venues in the Balkans. Canyons and national parks are taken under protection by UNESCO, are unique tourist centers of Montenegro. Places Like Durmitor National Park, Biogradska Gora National Park, Prokletije National Park, Shkodra Lake National Park, National Park Lovcen are also included in this list. Herceg Novi and Sveti Stefan island are also one of the lovely venues of tourists who love the exotic excursion.
I would recommend to our citizens to visit this mysterious place located only 3.5 hours from Baku.